Injuries that Occur on the Golf Course
- The full golf swing (backswing and follow-through) rotates the spine with a lot of force and little control
- Lumbar spine muscles strain to help provide force for the golf swing
- Disc and facet joint loading increases to help provide force for the golf swing
- Bending over to pick up the golf bag and carrying it can strain muscle
Useful tips to avoid lower back injury on the golf course
- Learn proper form and posture for playing golf, including a smooth, rhythmic swing in good balance.
- Choose a golf bag with a built-in stand and dual straps
- When picking up a golf ball, bend at the knees or get a device for your putter that lets you retrieve the golf ball from the hole without bending over.
- Think about hiring a golf professional, experienced at teaching golfers with bad backs who can explain postures and techniques that reduce and prevent back pain…I actually know a great golf assessment physical therapist, if you need a referral.
- Get a massage from Trinity Massage Haven to help with acute and chronic pain.