Herbal Ball Massage
What is an Herbal Ball?
Thai Herbal Ball Compress
There are some treatments that you may not have heard of much in the mainstream, and yet they have been around for years. Many of these treatments offer some amazing healing powers to those who partake in them. They are well worth looking into and can be of great help in a more holistic type of medicine. One such treatment is the Thai herbal ball.
A traditional herbal blend recipe from the “Wat Po” temple in Bangkok is used in a muslin wrap and heated up and then used on the body. It is a useful way to apply heat to the Sen Lines, which are the acupressure points and other joints of significance.
Thai herbs have a therapeutic, healing, comforting, and exhilarating effect on the body and mind. So it only makes sense that a treatment that features these herbs in harmony will be of the utmost help to those who need it. The herbs that are blended together are: Plai, Tumeri, lemongrass, mango ginger, calamus, sweet sage, sweet flag, myrtle grass, kaffir lime, orange skin, skukakai, tamarind, patchouli and camphor.
How is it used for massage?
The herbal ball is soaked in water up to the handle for 5-10 minutes to get to the optimum temperature. It is then steamed in a steamer for a minimum of 15 to 30 minutes. The warm bundles are then applied to the skin beginning at the feet.
There are five techniques used to in the treatment, and they are all pivotal.
They include the following:
Rocking – rocking the ball in a back and forth motion.
Stamping – A light to medium brisk thumping of the ball along the entire body.
Rolling– Rotating the ball in a rounded motion while providing a steady downward compression.
Dragging – Steady pressure vertical to the “Sen lines” is used while dragging to improve blood flow or lymphatic drainage.
Stationary – steady downward pressure vertical to the area being treated.
Rocking and Rolling is most frequently used.
Benefits of Herbal Ball Therapy
Sometimes it’s not enough to just hear about such treatments, as you want to know what the intricate benefits are. Though you may think that it’s all about relaxation, there are some very helpful physical benefits to the body.
You can expect to enjoy any or all of the following benefits when using this type of therapy:
- Increased mobility before and after stretching.
- Soften and loosen connections between bones.
- Gives a boost of the body’s life energy.
- Relieves sprains, strains, of muscles and tendons.
- Minimize joint stiffness and inflammation.
- Reduces chronic stress and anxiety.
Is this the right treatment for me?
Though Thai ball therapy may sound good, you do need to be mindful of a few things. Most people can enjoy such a treatment without any problems at all. There are some conditions though that may prove to be difficult in receiving this treatment.
If any of these relate to you then another treatment might be better suited for you. Do you have?
- A heart condition where temperature changes is a challenge to the circulatory system.
- Thin sensitive skin.
- Pregnant and sensitive to heat
- On prescription medication that has side effects due to temperature changes
- Varicose veins
- Neuropathy- i.e. nerve damage due to Diabetes
Care for your herbal ball for home treatments.
It can be quite helpful to receive this treatment by a trained professional, especially at first. You want to ensure that you know how to administer it and that you are performing it properly. After that you can try this type of treatment at home, and here are some easy steps to show you how.
- Place in a zip lock bag or container. Make sure it is totally dry before storing if not it will mold.
- It can be kept for seven days if refrigerated.
- It can be frozen for a month.
- To re heat, soak the ball in hot water for 5 minutes. If frozen, thaw before heating it.
How to use your herbal ball at home:
- Use them for herbal baths- Use as an anti-inflammatory to promote healing of swollen muscles. I have personally used this treatment when I lower lumbar strain (pulled back muscle).
- Use as an herbal foot massage- after a long day at work, long run, or walk.
- Use to exfoliate- Scrubbing with the ball while bathing, takes off dead skin and brings new skin to the surface.
- Herbal Ice Pack- it can be used cold like for decreasing swelling also.
- Aromatherapy- sitting in the bath while inhaling the aromatic herbal excellence.
Come experience this wonderful treatment of Herbal Ball Massage